The Selkie Reads Stories- A book review blog featuring best selling and self published Young Adult and New Adult books
Home ABOUT Policy Contact Us Affiliates Tours Wishlist

I really truly certainly undoubtedly think… that I have found myself yet another one of the greatest contemporary novels of all time. And I’m totally not kidding you.

The summary on the book’s cover was vague and I totally have no idea regarding Kasie West’s style since I haven’t read any of her books until this one. But wow—she wowed me. Because… wow, oh God, all I can say right now is wow because wow… and… wow. The Distance Between Us rendered me speechless.

I realized I was in for something unputdownable when I turned the first page a blink too faster than normal. The writing wasn’t really special (don’t get me wrong), actually it was plain—and maybe that’s just exactly how I liked it. It didn’t waste any time saying this or describing that; it went straight to the story. I like the clear-cut structure of the writing. It was both efficient and effective for the novel.

Before anything more, can we just talk about the romance and the chemistry and the everything that made this book the perfect—yes, perfect—YA contemporary romance book? Of course we can.
I just loooove how Kasie set up the romance. It is not often that I encounter the issue of social status in YA books. In TDBU, this particular matter made the conflicts bitter but the fruit even sweeter. It tested the main characters’ ties and made them even closer with one another.

Also, undeclared love is just TOO MUCH TO HANDLE. Ahhhhh! It’s so… satisfying (for me, I guess) to see the main character deny and fight against what she herself obviously feels. Especially when Xander gets (accidentally or not) flirty with her and it just gets her all jittery and then bam every single promise she made to stay away from him explodes into tiny little pieces. It’s too many adorableness to bear! (Especially their habit of Xander pre-sipping every drink first before handing it to Caymen… !!!!!!) 
 
I really really love Caymen. I like her dry humor and her sarcasm. It was absolutely hilarious. The humor didn’t feel forced, but rather natural. But what I admired most was how she selflessly helped her mom despite wanting to have an own life for herself. She stayed strong for her mother, and she stood as the foundation of their family. Caymen did what she knew best to salvage their family business. I think she’s the image of a perfect daughter.

Xander was as likable as Caymen. He was the rich guy who preferred not to boast about it. He’s humble and knows how to interact with others. I like him because he tangles Caymen’s intestines when he’s around her, and I like him because he’s always there to untangle the problems Caymen is facing. And he’s thoughtful, kind, funny, and all the possible nice things to describe a teenage guy. He definitely was the nice guy, but this time, nice guys don’t end up last. 

I delayed the tons of works I have for school just to read this one. For so many times, I actually put it on the bedside table and tell myself that school is more important. But then, after hopelessly trying for a minute, I’d pick it up again and get absorbed in the story for hours. And I tell you, putting it off for just a minute is far worse than flunking a quiz I failed to prepare for.

Kasie West had something more than potential. It was a gift. There was no distance between her and talent; they were typically one entity. The Distance Between Us is for ALL the contemporary lovers out there. It’s one of the most bestest (yes, redundancies for emphasis). #KasieWestIsTheBest 

THE NUB AND GIST: 6 STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Buy the book from: Amazon / The Book Depository 
 
 
 

Labels: , , ,


Blogger abby @abbbzandbookz said on November 27, 2013 at 9:33 PM  

#KasieWestIsTheBest NUFF SAID!!! I love this book, I agree with the 'unputdownable" yes such word shall exist!! Ahhhh love your review, I just reread it a few weeks ago and I want to reread it again because of your review :') Have you read Kasie's Pivot Point? OMG.


Blogger Book Whales said on November 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM  

Okay,,, this now part of my Christmas wish list, Kyle :D

-Dannielle

Post a Comment

What do YOU think? Leave us some comment love and we'll surely return the favor!

Authors and Publicists
We would be more than happy to review and/or feature a book for you. We are also interested in joining book tours and other promotional means.

For more information, please read our Review Policy and e-mail Ellie at mspandasaur@gmail.com or Kyle at comval_rua@yahoo.com

Follow this blog

Follow on Bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin

 Subscribe via email

follow us in feedly
Current giveaways
Support us
Young Adult book reviews

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository
Archives
FTC Disclaimer
We have received ARCs and finished copies for the purpose of a review, but receiving these products in no way affects my review of the book. We are disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.


Books & Literature - Top Blogs Philippines